Favorite Word Ever

Oxymoron. I absolutely love that word, and for many wonderful reasons. For one thing, it is really fun to say and point out, especially when I get to say "oxymoronic". Oh the addition of those two precious letters make me wish I wore glasses just so I could push them up with my index and middle fingers like all the pretentious people do. Just the idea of an oxymoron, an idea made up of two contradictory ideas, makes me so gleeful, and literally gives me hope. In the wonderful word of grammar and the English language something can exist that logically shouldn't, and that exhibites to the language's flexibility and versatility. (Let me take a second here to mention that flexible, versatile, and sloppy are three very different ideas, but I digress...)

The other day I stumbled upon The Little Big List of Oxymorons Online. Everything from a fine mess to zero deficit is to be found, glorified, and discussed. I am not sure I could call this list definitive, or even wholly accurate. I have never even heard of a waning crescent, and immigration control just sounds mean. American education/culture/intelligence or any other phrase that's only purpose is to insult is not an oxymoron, it's a stupid joke. Still, the list is something fun to browse through from time to time.

My favorite oxymoron? I cannot say. Jumbo shrimp is classic, but divine decadence always makes me smile. I love anything paradoxical, and tend to use it in my writing, juxtaposing two opposing ideas to somehow make something coherent. Sound familiar?

Anyway, that is my favorite word of the week. Now if you'll excuse me, a Quiet Riot concert is on VH1 Classic. ;)

(Don't you just love cheesy closing lines?)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: