Bogart and his pals

What the hell does 'bogart' mean? No, not the wonderfully handsome Humphry, but the verb I hear used so much in various social situations. "Dude, don't bogart the remote!" ,"She totally bogarted the group presentation."," Mom tends to bogart my friends when I bring them over.", etc.

Seriously, what does it mean? Where did it come from? How does someone's last name become such common jargon? Well, according to the ever entertaining Urban Dictionary , bogart origonally came from the world of cannibus users who would dangle their home made cigarettes out of their mouth, much like dear old Humphry, and smoke them 'till the poor roach was mostley ash, also apparantly similar to one of Humphy's habits. The term then evolved to mean any sort of hogging, selfish hoarding, thoughtless stealing, etc manner, especially something that is meant to be shared.

This is so interesting to me, seeing as I have many of these sort of words myself. "I am so going to Liza the shit out of this party." translates roughly to: "I am so going to wear tones of sparkly things, flirt with all the guys I'll never get, begin the night as some wonderful sprite, but end it as a puking crying monster!" As a massive nerd, I might even replace the ever popular 'bogart' with 'smeagol/gollum'; i.e. "Macy, why did you smeagol the frickin ice cream?"

Maybe all those little quirks of mine will one day become popular among everyone from potsmokers, school teachers, and video store workers. I girl can dream.

0 comments: