Why Grammar Matters

I'm a writing tutor, and I had an interesting conversation today with a client that I think needs to be expanded. I need to do some set up, so bear with me.

This client (we'll call him Frank) came in with a paper for a Marketing class. Right off the bat, Frank committed one of the Deadly Sins of Writing Tutoring by asking me to proofread his paper. Now, as a writing tutor, I don't do that. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that no writing tutor does that. There are many reasons why we don't, and my favorite is that I don't get paid nearly as much as your average copy editor. But that's not what I'm talking about now.

The reason why I don't proofread and correct student's papers for them is this simple: Grammar matters.

Let me clarify. When a student turns in a paper, the professor grades not only on content, but also how well that student can express themselves with language. Even if the paper is in science or math or business or underwater basket weaving. And if I, the writing tutor, correct all the little grammar mistakes in that paper, then the professor won't be grading based on that student's verbal skill.

But that's just for school! Surely people don't expect you to have good grammar in the Real World
! Wrong. They surely do.

Given the choice between one employee who knows the difference between their, there, and they're and one who doesn't.... who do you think your boss will choose?

Well, don't they have grammar check for that? Not in email, last time I checked. Not on paper when you have to hand write something. And even if there is a grammar checker, let me tell you those things aren't always right.

I didn't have time to tell Frank all of this, of course, but I told him some. Also, I corrected some mistakes, but I took the time to show him why they were mistakes so that next time he could catch them on his own. Because that's what writing tutors do that copy editors don't.

0 comments: